[SI-LIST] Swing control for Gigabit chips

  • From: Alex March <alx_march@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 07:17:07 -0800 (PST)

  Hello,

  I have a question regarding the output swing control
for some modern gigabit serdeses which are now
available.
  By using this feature one can clearly improve the
eye opening at the receiver, especially for long
traces but the question is which is the price to pay?
Because there is always one...
  One effect would be the higher emissions due to
faster edges, but I do not believe this should be so
strong.
  Is it a problem for shorter traces? So if I have a
30" trace and swing control helps, if I use the same
swing for a 3" trace it is a problem?

Thank you,

Alex

List archives are viewable at: