[SI-LIST] Re: Surface roughness of PCB tracks at track/substrate interface ?

  • From: "Zabinski, Patrick J." <zabinski.patrick@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 06:15:33 -0500

Steve,

When speaking to PCB vendors, they typically refer to
surface roughness as "toothing profile", and most PCB
manufacturers are able to select a particular toothing
profile from their material vendor(s).

From cross sections of actual boards, peak-to-peak surface
roughness is in the range of 7 to 18 microns for common
PCBs.

If you're interested in reading bit more on surface roughness,
I suggest obtaining/reading a copy of:

   TITLE   Effect of Surface Roughness on Eddy Current Losses
           at Microwave Frequencies
   AUTHOR  Samuel P. Morgan, Jr.
   SOURCE  Journal of Applied Physics
   VOLUME  20
   DATE    April, 1949
   PAGES   352-362

The paper takes an analytical approach to determining the
loss in a conductor due to surface roughness with different
profiles (e.g., sawtooth, square, etc.) and shows that
surface roughness can sometimes double the loss when compared
to a smooth conductor.

Pat