[SI-LIST] Re: Stripline vs. Parallel Plate Impedances

  • From: Ege Engin <engin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Loyer, Jeff" <jeff.loyer@xxxxxxxxx>, si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2003 17:12:05 +0100

Hello Jeff,
The reason I use the terms "stripline and parallel plate modes" is the
transmission line basis of the modeling approach (e.g., similar to the
even and modes of a balanced differential line.). But there is indeed a
confusion when I say these are the (TEM)-modes in a "stripline", since
stripline is commonly understood as the pure stripline configuration
(hence has only the stripline mode associated with it). Maybe calling
this structure a "3-conductor stripline" (plane1, signal, plane2) would
be more clear.

If one of the planes is floating and you reference only the other one
for measurement, the resulting characteristic impedance should be
slightly higher than the impedance seen when both planes are short
circuited. I don't have a good qualitative explanation for that (maybe
the inductance goes high due to current return path discontinuity at the
launchers?). I came to this conclusion simply by reducing the
"3-conductor stripline model" by floating one of the planes.

Best Regards,
Ege Engin

--
[...]

-- Desc: Visitenkarte für Ege Engin