[SI-LIST] Stimulus dilemma for pwr/gnd model

  • From: agathon <hreidmarkailen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 17:51:04 -0700

Hello all,
Once I have some kind of assumed good system model for a power rail, ideally
I'd like to have already finished an extraction of I vs. t for worst case
pwr bump of the chip -- from simulation using a best-accuracy tool.  Later
on, in an ideal world where time, etc., are cheap I'd like a bare-die
profile of the same, gotten from measurements -- for each worst case pwr
bump.

I'd use this as behavioral current stimulus for my PDN in simulations.
Specifically, the I vs. t for peak would be for peak CHANGES in I --- that
is, from chip's state changes that produce the largest swing in I and slew
rate.  With no credible stimulus, all the SI tool time is useless for pwr
integrity.

My question:
The above two ways to generate such stimulus are actually damn costly,
especially if decision makers aren't forward looking and there's no time to
Yet I can get SI tools as part of the normal course and generate the pwr
models.

Next best thing:  turn the problem around  .....
1. invent [I vs. t] stimulus based on estimates from real chip sim data &
models
2. find the worst case stimulus  (guaranteed to be unrealistic)
3. yet, this will find the worst case swing (peak & slew rate cases), though
time scale will be a total WAG (a guess) ---> may still have some value

Any thoughts...?

-Agathon

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net