[SI-LIST] Re: Stimulus Patterns

  • From: Scott McMorrow <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: npatel@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2007 12:39:55 -0500

Nikhil,

The length of the PRBS used depends on what you're trying to do.  If
you're simulating a serial channel, you would use a PRBS that has a
maximum run length that is as large or 1 bit larger than the worst case
pattern run length in the channel.  For 8B10B encoding, the maximum run
length is 5 bits, so a PRBS7 would be adequate for simulation purposes.

If you are concerned with pattern dependent ISI, then you'll need a
pattern that is long enough to just encompass the channel memory time.
Channel memory time is the time that it takes for a channel to return to
it's quiescent state after a unit impulse excitation, or a unit step
excitation. It is the amount of time in bits, that it takes for all
ringing to dampen and die off.  I would usually use a PRBS pattern that
is 1 bit longer than the expected channel memory time, just to be sure.

regards,

Scott

Scott McMorrow
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC
121 North River Drive
Narragansett, RI 02882
(401) 284-1827 Business
(401) 284-1840 Fax

http://www.teraspeed.com

Teraspeed® is the registered service mark of

npatel@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I wanted to know if there is a way to determine what stimulus pattern
> and length would be adequate to use in SI simulations. For example 32
> bit PRBS, 24 bit PRBS etc.
>
> How does one find out which stimulus will cover all scenarios.
>
> Thanks,
> Nikhil =20

> List FAQ wiki page is located at:
>
> List technical documents are available at: