[SI-LIST] Static power consumption

  • From: "Dimiter Popoff" <dp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 06 Aug 2005 20:03:42 +0300

Hi all,
my background thoughts revolve around a future product, also with Freescales
mpc5200.
 I want to make it battery powered, for which everything seems perfect, except
the fact, that they specify 52.5 mW power consumption during the so called
"deep sleep" mode, which appears to mean all clocks stopped. (Full power at
400 MHz CPU speed being about 1W).
Now clearly 52 mW is way too much to keep the CPU constantly powered
so I'll have to do something about it (well, not many options but power off
together with the SDRAM).
 My question to the list  - where I know there are people with internal chip
knowledge - is
why is the consumption so high? I realise the total leakage of the zillions of
MOSFETs inside
can go pretty high, but the spec is at 25 C _die_ temperature, should it not be
a lot lower there?
Perhaps they overspecify, perhaps I am missing something (like something
ticking inside...),
or both, or neither?

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at: