[SI-LIST] Re: Standard for thermal relief on thru hole pins

  • From: "Salkow, Steven" <steven.salkow@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'jseeger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <jseeger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 10:44:28 -0700

Another way of stating thermal reliefs is to specify that the conductor area
shall not be decreased by more than n%.
The greater n is the more thermal relief occurs but the ampacity and
inductance go up.

The following table is instructions to the Photoplotter house on how to
detail thermals (th = through holes)

Definitions:
   CIRCLE:  Round aperture for pads and/or line draws.
   SQUARE:  Square aperture for pads and/or line draws.
   THERMAL:  Thermal pads- Inside diameter is shown, airgap to outside
        diameter is .015.
        4 'X' ties of .020 thickness ea for Thermal call outs up to 75TH.
        4 'X' ties of .040 thickness ea for Thermal call outs from 80TH to
149TH.
        4 'X' ties of .070 thickness ea for Thermal call outs from 150TH to
199TH.
        4 'X' ties of .100 thickness ea for Thermal call outs from 200TH to
300TH.
Steven Salkow
Lockheed Martin
3200 Zanker Rd