[SI-LIST] Re: Stack up for EMI reduction, plane resonance and u-strip radiation etc etc

  • From: "Istvan NOVAK" <istvan.novak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lenaw" <lenaw@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 08:35:08 -0500

MC,

With all the recent postings I tried to show Chris that even if someone
follows good engineering practices (referencing the correct plane),
beyond a certain trace density and edge rate, it may make perfect sense
to use thin power-ground laminates.  Of course you dont use them
if you can avoid it by properly engineering the board.  And there is
a gray area where the tradeoffs wont point very clearly one way or
the other.

I agree with the first half of your statement, but not completely with
the second half of it.  If you change a G-S-PWR stackup portion to
G-PWR-S-G, you dont have to change the spacing between S and
PWR, so the trace inductance wrt PWR wont change (the total trace
loop inductance wont change anyway if you use the same dielectric
and same trace impedance).  The G-PWR inductance in the second
stackup portion is so much smaller than the trace inductance, that it
wont really change anything in that regard.

Regards,

Istvan