[SI-LIST] Re: Spread Spectrum Clock Synthesizers

  • From: steve weir <weirsp@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Shiraz.Bashir@xxxxxxxxxx,"'si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 18:03:31 -0700

Shiraz, what happens is that phase errors result from the transfer function
of the slave devices.  How much phase error depends on the sweep rate of
the SS modulator, and both the bandwidth and damping of the PLL that is
attempting to track the SS modulated clock.

SS modulators don't reduce EMI, they reduce the the peak amplitude seen by
a narrow band filter as is used in the EMI tests.  The energy is all there,
it just isn't as coherent.  It is a legitimate way to buy regulatory margin.

As to your question about what specifications to look for, you have to
start out with your timing budget and work backwards from there.

Steve.

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.org