[SI-LIST] Re: Splitting this power plane.

  • From: "Qazi Arif Iqbal" <qazi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 11:28:21 -0700

Ivor,
Is layer 7 a split plane?

Qazi Iqbal
-----Original Message-----
From: si-list-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:si-list-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Ivor Bowden
Sent: Friday, March 11, 2005 11:17 AM
To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [SI-LIST] Re: Splitting this power plane.

I should have mentioned, there is ground flood on all unused areas of
all signal and component layers, to help make up for there being only
one ground plane.
Ivor

on 3/11/2005 9:46 AM Ivor Bowden wrote:

>Hi SI Gurus,
>
>I am working on a 10 layer board, stackup is:
>
>1 component/signal
>2 ground
>3 signal
>4 power
>5 signal
>6 signal
>7 power
>8 signal
>9 power
>10 component/signal
>
>The technology is mixed, mostly 1 to 3 V logic levels plus some LVDS and
>a little analog.
>
>The power layers are all fairly well bypassed, across the board.
>
>There are also a number of local power planes embedded in the signal
planes.

>The issue is, one local power net, with relatively heavy supply
>requirements, is currently implemented with 3 plane areas on 3 separate
>signal layers, stitched together with vias. I am thinking it would be
>better to split the power plane on layer 9 to give this supply its own
>dedicated plane area, as layer 9 does not deliver in that area. The
>concern is signals crossing the plane split, but since there are no
>signals on layer 10 in that area, and layer 7 is a well bypassed power
>plane, it shouldn't hurt to split layer 9?
>
>I know each design is unique and requires its own proper study, but if
>anyone would share their general impressions of this scenario, I would
>appreciate it!
>
>Thanks,
>
>Ivor Bowden

>//www.freelists.org/webpage/si-list
>
>For help:
>
>List FAQ wiki page is located at:
>                http://si-list.org/wiki/wiki.pl?Si-List_FAQ
>
>List technical documents are available at:
>                http://www.si-list.org
>
>List archives are viewable at:
>               //www.freelists.org/archives/si-list
>or at our remote archives:

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.org

List archives are viewable at:

 PRIVACY WARNING: For auditing purposes, a copy of this message has been
 saved in a permanent database.

--
 PRIVACY WARNING: For auditing purposes, a copy of this message has been
 saved in a permanent database.

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.org