[SI-LIST] Re: Split gnd planes - for/against?

  • From: Michael Greim <mgreim001@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Scott McMorrow <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2009 13:52:10 -0500

Sounds really dated and old school, but....
check twice and cut once.

It always takes longer to fix a hardware problem
than to just make sure it isn't there.  Actually alot
less expensive too.

-Mike.

On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 1:43 PM, Scott McMorrow <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Kevin
> I'd agree with you.  The key to using models and simulation is to
> correlate the results with measurements, closing the loop.
>

> Kevin G. Rhoads wrote:
> >> If building multiple prototypes gets you through your day that's fine.
> >> It is something we work hard to avoid the need for.  The tools exist to
> >> evaluate pretty much anything we want to know about layout performance
> >> before we commit to fab.
> >>

> > I started out with an S.B. in theoretical mathematics, before switching
> > to EE for grad. school.  I've done theoretical analyses, numerical
> > analyses (both with commercial and with homebrew codes) as well as
> building
> > stuff.
> >
> > Simulation and analysis tools are great.  But I've seen too many cases
> where
> > reality is different enough that I don't trust predictions.  That may be
> > because all too often I am working with projects that are extreme in one
> > way or the other. (E.g., mMeasuring conductivity of molten glass
> [+/-0.5%],
> > dielectric constant of cryogenic organic solvent mixtures, things that
> involve
> > dual electrometers, and more recently ion and electron detectors for
> rockets
> > (those are actually fairly straightforward).)
> >
> > So it may be that my experience is non-typical enough not to be a good
> > guideline, but I don't trust simulations.  I've had too many
> > cases where some critical parasitic or minor effect is not modelled
> > well enough and the simulation and the reality are more orthogonal
> > than similar.
> >
> > So just call me "once bitten, twice shy"

> > //www.freelists.org/webpage/si-list
> >
> > For help:
> >

> > List technical documents are available at:
> >                 http://www.si-list.net
> >
> > List archives are viewable at:
> >               //www.freelists.org/archives/si-list
> > or at our remote archives:
> >               http://www.qsl.net/wb6tpu
> >

> --
> Scott McMorrow
> Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC
> 121 North River Drive
> Narragansett, RI 02882
> (401) 284-1827 Business
> (401) 284-1840 Fax
>
> http://www.teraspeed.com
>
> Teraspeed® is the registered service mark of
> Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC

> List technical documents are available at:
>                http://www.si-list.net
>
> List archives are viewable at:

Best Regards,

Michael C. Greim

And all this science they don't understand
Is just my job six days a week.....

We will either find a way or make one   -Hannibal

In the middle of every difficulty lies opportunity   -Al Einstein

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net

List archives are viewable at: