[SI-LIST] Re: Split gnd planes - for/against?

  • From: "Grasso, Charles" <Charles.Grasso@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "steve weir" <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>, <Sol.Tatlow@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2009 09:27:18 -0600

Sol - You keep asking for concrete answers. There are NO
absolutes - thats what make engineering fun! Moating is
a technique that can be used (and we use it) to isolate
RF circuits from "dirty" logic. Now bear in mind another
factor that come into play - integration. As more and
more circuits are integrated into one chip the need for
esoteric pwb design diminishes greatly. So you will
see designs that "breaks" rules - but what has happened is
that the noise sources are diminished. One other point to
keep in mind is that other types of designs (low noise
measuring devices etc..) have different design issues
than high speed designs and moating again is a technique
that can be used to help.
Steve has explained the physics way better than I ever could
so take what he has described and apply it to your project!

Chas