[SI-LIST] Re: Split gnd planes - for/against?

  • From: Richard Jungert <r_jungert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lee ritchey <leeritchey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, steve weir <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>, <charles.grasso@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <sol.tatlow@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, si list freelist <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <duane.mattheisen@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2009 15:59:50 -0700

Guys.

I had a very similar case back in 1985 where a sensitive phase lock loop ground
was between the lower frequency PLL and the power entry to the board. It was
directly in line where power physically enters the board and low F PLL. There
were actually 3 PLL's on the same board. It took us about 4 months to get this
one solved but we ended up cutting a moat shape ( like others have mentioned
previously ) in the ground plane under the sensitive PLL to get the phase
jitter to stop.  The solution worked great and the board ended up in production
for a new product because of this.  This is why I strongly recommend power and
ground splits to protect sensitive circuits.

Richard Jungert
2 patents
over 160 board designs
S parameter evaluations