[SI-LIST] Re: Split Ground Planes

  • From: Doug Smith <doug@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jose_moreira@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 15:04:15 -0700

Hi Jose and the group,

I normally reply personally to people to avoid the glut of
"out-of-office" messages, but feel I needed to add to this discussion.

Signal propagation is an important but small part of the trouble you
can get into with split planes if not implemented properly. Even if
you manage to get the signal propagation right, system reliability can
be severely compromised as it is easy to turn every cable in the
system into a great receiving array to pick up impulses you can easily
miss in the lab, but your customers won't!

I worry also about the common mode voltage that can result across the
board and drive enclosures, cables, etc. This voltage will cause
radiation that depends on a lot more that the board itself. Also
common mode voltages can be developed from outside sources as
mentioned above.

There are probably thousands of modes to get in trouble with split
planes of which the referenced paper covers a subset. You can cover
many of the problems by not ever allowing a trace to cross the slit.
Even DC signals like LEDs are generally too noisy to allow to cross a
slit in many cases.

Most of the examples of splitting up ground planes I have seen were
not necessary and just caused problems (remember that at high
frequencies everything is connected together whether you want them to
be or not, lots of articles on my website about this effect). There
are a few justified cases though. Video can be one example where the
signal can be degraded by just a small amount of powerline current
(hum bars in the video).

In general, I would not recommend splitting planes unless you can
state and MEASURE (to confirm) why a split plane is needed.

Doug

jose_moreira@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Nikhil,
>
> you can find the article on the IEEE xplore site (if you have acess) or =
> in a library.
>
> Details:
>
> Signal propagation and radiation of single and differential microstrip =
> traces over split image planes
> Orhanovic, N.; Raghuram, R.; Matsui, N.;
> Electromagnetic Compatibility, 2000. IEEE International Symposium on  =
> ,Volume: 1 , 21-25 Aug. 2000=20
> Pages:339 - 343 vol.1
>
> Best Regards
> Jose

     ___          _       Doug Smith
      \          / )      P.O. Box 1457
       =========          Los Gatos, CA 95031-1457
    _ / \     / \ _       TEL/FAX: 408-356-4186/358-3799
  /  /\  \ ] /  /\  \     Mobile:  408-858-4528
|  q-----( )  |  o  |    Email:   doug@xxxxxxxxxx
  \ _ /    ]    \ _ /     Website: http://www.dsmith.org

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at: