[SI-LIST] Re: Split GND Plane on PKG

  • From: "Geoff Stokes" <GStokes@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Alan.Hiltonnickel@xxxxxxx>, <jbtera77@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2006 10:43:24 +0100

Hello Jongbae

I think Alan is correct in saying you need adequate analysis.  However I
think your question is more fundamental: why split ground on the chip
and why split ground on the PCB?

In many cases, there is no need to split the ground on the PCB, but
sometimes there is a need for an analog or converter device on that PCB
to use separate ground connections.  Let's look at such a case.

A device with an input and output is sensitive to the input voltage
measured with respect to one of its ground return terminals.  The output
drives a current, which flows through a bond wire.  The return current
also flows through a bond wire, which has impedance to the signal,
especially the high frequency components of the signal.  If the output
and input share the same ground terminal, the voltage drop in the ground
connection impedance is coupled back to the input.  This is called
common impedance coupling.=20=20

This leads to the idea that input ground connections should be separated
from output ground.  Most designers of high speed circuits will provide
separate chip bond connections, in cases where they expect there will be
an advantage from doing this.  (The expectation may come from
calculation, simulation or experience.)=20=20

In some cases, similar arguments apply to the power supplies, which may
require multiple connections to the same supply, which can be by-passed
at the PCB, but by-passing on the chip can only be done in a very
limited way or sometimes it is not practical at all.

On the PCB a similar argument can be applied, but in many cases there is
more advantage to maintaining a solid ground plane.  In that case the
split chip grounds we just mentioned are connected separately to the
same PCB ground.  There is a need to split the PCB ground plane only in
cases where there is a special sensitivity to circulating ground
currents in the system.  For example some oscilloscope input PCB
circuits have used a slot between input channels to achieve very high
analog signal isolation.  In that case there may be a need to look at
one signal of several volts and compare with a signal of a few
millivolts, so an isolation of some 80 dB may be required.  This is an
extreme case to illustrate the point.  There will be various sensor
systems for example which may also require some similar treatment.=20

Geoff Stokes
Systems Engineer
Zetex Semiconductors plc
Zetex Technology Park