[SI-LIST] Re: Spice models encryption

  • From: "Clewell, Craig" <cclewell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'rotemg@xxxxxxxxxxxx'" <rotemg@xxxxxxxxxxxx>,si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2002 09:10:57 -0400

Gazit,

HSPICE can be used to encrypt, whereas a lot of other SPICE simulators
don't.  If you intend to use HSPICE to encrypt be aware that you need, or
the user of the model will need HSPICE to de-encrypt.  Is it safe?....it's
safe as long as nobody figures out how to de-encrypt the code.   I'm not
sure if there are other flavors of encryption out there since I am not in a
branch of electronics that requires me to encrypt my circuits.  I'm sure
there are, and I'm sure there will be other guru's who will make suggestions
to the list.

One thing I have noticed is that there are a lot of people in the industry
now calling SPICE files  HSPICE files.  Well, this is true if you have only
ever had access to HSPICE as your simulator, or this is the only tool you
have at your company.  There are such things as HSPICE "only" models due to
the use of the W element, encryption, and some of the higher level chip
models.  But, a generic Berkley SPICE  file will run in HSPICE.  Any flavor
of SPICE in general will understand R, L, C and G, etc...  HSPICE has some
elements that others don't and this is what makes this software, and the
models created with it different and non-usable in other simulators.  When I
hear "HSPICE model" the first thing I think of  is that the file is
encrypted, or uses elements only available in HSPICE.

Craig Clewell
FCI Electronics