[SI-LIST] Re: Spice

  • From: "Dennis Han" <Dennis.Han@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ivor@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 15:04:09 -0600

I think what you are seeing is the limitations of SPICE.  Try setting the
simulation options to gear method rather than the trapezoidal method and the
transitions should look more realistic.  The default options for any SPICE
simulator are generally for fast, but less accurate, simulations and haven't
changed much since the mid-80's.  With today's computers (and ever 10 years
ago), slow and accurate options are still fast.

Here is an example of the options line from a HSPICE simulation that will
give the most accurate transient analysis results (unless you get a
convergence problem).  I also know these options (in the correct form of
course) will work for SPICE Plus and Spectre.

* General options:
.OPTIONS ACCT=2 ACOUT=1 AUTOSTOP BADCHR CAPTAB CSHUNT=0 GSHUNT=0 DIAGNOSTIC
INGOLD=1 ITRPRT KCLTEST=1 LIMPTS=20000 LIST NODE NOPAGE OPTLST=0 OPTS
TNOM=23
* DC solution control options:
.OPTIONS ABMOS=1e-12 ABSTOL=1e-12 ABSI=1e-12 VNTOL=1e-6 ABSV=50e-6 DCCAP=1
DCFOR=5 DCSTEP=0 DV=1000 GMAX=0.1 GMINDC=1e-12 GRAMP=0 ITL1=200 ITL2=50
PIVOT=0 PIVREF=1e8 PIVREL=1e-3 PIVTOL=1e-15 RELMOS=0.05 RELTOL=1e-4
RELV=1e-4
* Pole/zero control options:
.OPTIONS CSCAL=1e12 FMAX=1e12 FSCAL=1e-6 GSCAL=1e6 ITLPZ=100 LSCAL=1e12
PZABS=1e-2 PZTOL=1e-6 RITOL=1e-6
* Transient control options:
.OPTIONS ABSVAR=0.2 CHGTOL=1e-15 CVTOL=0.2 DCAP=2 DVDT=3 EPSMIN=1e-28
EXPMAX=350 FS=0.25 FT=0.25 GENK=1 GMIN=1e-12 IMAX=100 IMIN=3.0 ITL5=0.0
KLIM=1e-2 LVLTIM=2 MAXORD=2 METHOD=GEAR MU=0.5 NEWTOL=1 RELQ=0.01
RELVAR=0.15 RMAX=2.00 RMIN=1.0e-9 TRTOL=100

I think you should use ADS, Spectre, or HSPICE.  PSpice has improved but it
was not originally designed to simulate high frequencies (and hence
transmission lines).  That functionality has been an afterthought in its
architecture.  SPICE Plus has the same problem.

Use a product such as IFS Pro, IFS Connect, or equivalent to make your
transmission line and connector models.

Dennis