[SI-LIST] Re: SpectraQuest Question.

  • From: "Todd Westerhoff" <twester@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <signalguy@xxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 08:35:33 -0500

Josna,

When you specify a frequency for a "PULSE" stimulus in SQ, it creates a
clock of that frequency.  So, for example, if you specified "200 MHz", yod
get a signal with a 5ns period (2.5ns high, 2.5ns low).

I prefer to talk about data rates according to the scheme of the signal used
to latch the data.  In your case, I'm guessing that you're latching data off
the rising and falling edges of a 200 MHz clock signal (also known as
Double-Data Rate, or DDR).  In that case, you'd specify the data signal as
200 MHz, because SQ simulates it as a clock.

In general, the rule for specifying data signal frequencies is:

SDR clocking = 1/2 the clock speed
DDR clocking = same as clock speed

When in doubt, I always just run a simulation and look at the waveforms.  If
you know how long you expect between data bits, it's easy to figure out
whether the setting is right or not.

Hope that helps!

Todd.

Todd Westerhoff
Signal Integrity Engineer
Hammerhead Networks
5 Federal Street - Billerica, MA - 01821
email:twester@xxxxxxxxxxx - ph: 978-671-5084

"I'm starting With the man in the mirror
 I'm asking him to change his ways
 And no message could have been any clearer
 If you wanna make the world a better place
 Take a look at yourself, and then make a change"

- "Man in the Mirror", Michael Jackson