[SI-LIST] Re: S-parameter passivity... Interpreting the results.

  • From: "Hill, John" <jhill@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Xilei Liu" <xileil@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <dgun@xxxxxxxxxx>, <travissellis@xxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 12:53:06 -0400

Celine,

To raise the Q of a resonator you need to decrease the resistive part of
the resonate structure. You can do that with a negative resistance. For
example a Colpitts oscillator presents a negative resistance to the
resonator. It is a reflective gain. When you send a forward wave into a
reflective gain the reverse wave has more power than what you put into
it. Keep the phase between the forward and reverse waves the same at the
resonate frequency of the resonator or you will pull the resonator off
frequency.=20

This is why you don't want input pins to float. Sometimes they can bias
at a point that provides reflective gain and start to oscillate with the
resonator formed by the inductance of the wire and the capacitive input
or output on the far side of the wire.

To see an application where the Q of a resonator was effectively
increased see my patent 5,486,793 issues on January 23, 1996 - Balanced
RF Oscillator and Transmitter.=20

John