[SI-LIST] Re: S-par to Spice

  • From: "Ian Dodd" <ian_dodd@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'Antonio Ciccomancini Scogna'" <Antonio.Ciccomancini@xxxxxxx>, <saoer.sinaga@xxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2008 09:24:06 -0600

Hi Saoer,

There are generally two ways to include S-parameter data in a SPICE
simulation:

1. Directly using an S-parameter primitive
2. Indirectly, by using a separate tool to create an equivalent network =
of
(passive) circuit elements which can be included as a sub-cicuit in the
SPICE simulation.

Many of the popular SPICE simulators have options to enforce passivity =
and
causality in the evaluation of their S-parameter primitives.
I have personal experience with this feature in the simulators from =
Mentor
Graphics, Agilent and Ansoft.=20
My appolgies to the vendors of other popular tools, but I do not have =
the
personal experience to talk about the availability of this feature in =
their
simulators.

As Antonio says, many of the separate tools that create equivalent SPICE
sub-circuits from S-parameter descriptions also have these options.

The full wave solvers from quite a few popular vendors create models =
that
have causality and passivity issues.
This problem can be made worse if the model was generated for a smaller
frequency range than will be used for simulation.
S-parameter models created from measurement can also suffer from the =
same
problems due to small errors in the measurement process.

If you are interested in more information, papers from Mentor Graphics
(DesignCon 2006), Ansoft (IBIS China 2007) and Agilent (DesignCon 2008) =
are
available. (Again my appologies to the authors of other papers on the
subject, these are a few that I saw in person).

I hope this helps

Ian Dodd
SI Consultant