[SI-LIST] Re: Some reference on reference planes

  • From: Mark Grobman <markgrobman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Jory McKinley <jory_mckinley@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2011 06:45:55 +0200

Hey all,
I'm sorry - it seems I've confused all you (perhaps this is a reflaction of
my own confusion).
my stackup is 18 layers and is perfectly symmetrical. The stackup I wrote
down is a "zoom" on the problematic area just so you could understand where
my problem is.

As for the combining of power planes: As I stated - the situation cannot be
avoided without increasing the number of layers ( i tried combining but it
doesn't work) which I am reluctant to do due to reliablity issues caused by
the via's aspect ratio.

What I really want to understand is: If I was making a DC board than we
wouldn't be having this discussion. Since this is a digital board life
isn't so simple (don't tell any DC engineers I implied their job was easy)
- what is the area of rise times where problems start surfacing?
Can I help mitage this issue *without *changing the stackup?
And should I worry about interfernces throughout the transmission line or
just near the edges/where the via's are?

Thanks again for all the help,
Mark

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net