[SI-LIST] Re: Solder & Paste Mask Properties

  • From: Bill Dempsey <BDempsey@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'dhoovy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <dhoovy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,"'AdeelM@xxxxxxxxxxxx'" <AdeelM@xxxxxxxxxxxx>,"'si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 12:04:12 -0500

Just to keep everyone's vocabulary straight --

LPI on a via does not constitute plugging or tenting.  So let's not
propagate incorrect terms.

LPI on a via is a common practice but the process is not the same as
tenting.
Tenting involves dry film solder mask where it truly makes a tent across the
hole of the via.

Plugging is a process where (typically) epoxy is squeezed into the via hole.

These techniques are used in ruggedization and for testing assembled boards
that have vacuum applied to one side.  Others could better comment on this
process.

But to address the first question -- if you select "tenting" and choose to
use a LPI soldermask then you will coat the via with soldermask.  But you
have not truly tented the via.

Regards,
Bill

List archives are viewable at: