[SI-LIST] Re: Smartspice vs Hspice?

  • From: Steve Horne <sch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: zabinski.patrick@xxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2002 08:32:29 -0600

We've used Smartspice at Intrinsity for about 5 years, though the
vast majority of our work is chip-level transistor work instead
of SI.  We did some comparison to HSPICE early on but it was only
transistor (BSIM3V3) related.  The optimizer command syntax is
different than in HSPICE, but works fine for our needs.  All in
all, we are happy with Smartspice.

BTW, we run all of our internally developed EDA tools and any
available commercial tools on Linux.  Smartspice is available on
Linux and runs really fast on Athlon machines [shameless plug for
AMD, since I used to work there].

Steve

Zabinski, Patrick J. writes:

 > We have been using Hspice for several years, and we've
 > dabbled with Smartspice for two-three years.  So far,
 > the tools are mostly compatible (i.e., compatible enough
 > we can easily tolerate the differences) in terms of the
 > primary models/results.  However, we haven't pushed
 > the tools enough to determine which one is better/worse and
 > if they are truly 100% compatible in *every* form.
 >
 > Can anyone give any experience with the two tools to help
 > us decide between the technical merits of them?  Is one
 > any better than the other? Other than price, is there a
 > reason why we'd want one over the other?
 >
 > We've heard Smartspice has a form of W-element that's
 > "compatible with Hspice W-element"; has anyone found this
 > to be true/false?
 >
 > Thanks,
 > Pat Zabinski
 > Mayo