[SI-LIST] Re: Skin depth,copper,gold

  • From: "Yuriy Shlepnev" <shlepnev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <balaseven@xxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2013 18:53:18 -0700

Bala,

Yes, you definitely have to consider the properties of the plating materials
too, especially in the case of ENIG plated traces. A broadband model of ENIG
plated traces must include properties of all 3 materials - copper, nickel
and gold. Otherwise the model is not accurate enough for the analysis of
multi-gigabit data channels.
See overview, analysis and experimental data for ENIG plated traces at
Y. Shlepnev, S. McMorrow, Nickel characterization for interconnect analysis.
- Proc. of the 2011 IEEE International Symposium on Electromagnetic
Compatibility, Long Beach, CA, USA, August, 2011, p. 524-529.
The paper is available at IEEE site
http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/login.jsp?tp=&arnumber=6038368&url=http%3A%2F
%2Fieeexplore.ieee.org%2Fxpls%2Fabs_all.jsp%3Farnumber%3D6038368
You can also find the paper and presentation at www.kb.simberian.com (in
Publications and Presentations sections, require registration).

Best regards,
Yuriy

Yuriy Shlepnev, Ph.D.
President, Simberian Inc.
3030 S Torrey Pines Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89146, USA
Office +1-702-876-2882; Fax +1-702-482-7903
Cell +1-206-409-2368
Skype: Shlepnev

www.simberian.com
Simbeor - Accurate, Fast, Easy and Affordable Electromagnetic Signal
Integrity Software
2010 and 2011 DesignVision Award Winner