[SI-LIST] Re: Sj frequency and relation to BER

  • From: Istvan Novak <istvan.novak@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ah.vinod@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2013 09:05:57 -0400

Vinod,

I just pointed out that the 200ps bit time and the 40ps jitter deviation
are in integer relationship...

Unless you see the failure still at 33MHz with detuned deviation or bit
rate, I would not be fully convinced that the trouble frequency is in
fact 33MHz, it could be just a coincidence.

If it consistently fails at 33MHz with detuned deviation as well, the
reason might be something to do with how the CDR works, and unless you
know those details, it may be hard to speculate.  Could be that you hit
the natural frequency of the PLL or you hit the reference frequency of
the PLL or one of its harmonics.

Regards,

Istvan Novak
Oracle

On 6/17/2013 8:04 AM, vinod ah wrote:
> hi,
>
> Can you please help me out to understand the relation between bit time
> of 200ps and 33MHz Sj. I understand that 40ps of Sj is integer
> multiple of 200ps bit time, but what i observe is even with 40ps Sj
> @10MHz or 40ps Sj @50MHz, no BER issue.
>
> BER fails only for 40ps Sj @33MHz.
>
> Regards
> Vinod A H
>
> On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 5:27 PM, Istvan Novak <istvan.novak@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>> Vinod,
>>
>> Your nominal bit time and deviation of sinusoid jitter is in perfect integer
>> relationship, which could make it statistically very sensitive to small
>> variations of parameters.
>> I just wonder how your circuit would behave if you detuned one or the other
>> slightly but noticeably.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Istvan Novak
>> Oracle
>>

>> On 6/17/2013 5:31 AM, vinod ah wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I am testing a serial IO Rx running at 5Gbps to meet BER of 1 in
>>> 10^-12. I am using BERT for testing where i sweep the Sinusoidal
>>> jitter (Sj) from 10 MHz to 50 MHz with Sj amplitude being constant
>>> 40ps.
>>>
>>> I see BER failure at 33MHz, while there is no BER failures at any
>>> other Sj frequencies. The CDR in Rx  is having JTF of 3.5MHz, hence it
>>> won't track the jitter of 10MHz to 50MHz.
>>>
>>> So was trying to find what might be causing the BER failure at 33MHz,
>>> while the BER passes at 50MHz or 10MHz. Unable to understand relation
>>> of Sj frequency to BER.
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> Vinod A H

List forum  is accessible at: