[SI-LIST] Re: Single-point grounding and multi-point grounding

  • From: steve weir <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2012 02:47:09 -0800

What you need to do is arrange your topology so that you do not create
excessive noise EMFs due to currents through common interconnects.
Moating is one method of diverting currents by inserting series
resistance and inductance between circuit sections.  That will no
eliminate common capacitance coupled through substrates, chassis, etc.
At sufficiently high frequencies that parasitic capacitance defeats the
inserted L-R impedance and adds unwanted resonance as a special
surprise.  Careful choice of component placement goes a long way towards
isolating unwanted EMFs and is often good enough.

The right choices all comes down to numbers.  If you have a sensitive
application, find someone with appropriate expertise to mentor you
through it.  Doug Smith has a number of more detailed articles on his
web-site.

Steve.

On 12/28/2012 12:53 AM, Tesla wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Happy holiday.
> Read a app note written by Intel--Intel IXP42 product line of network
> processor and IXC1100 control plane processor. For the grounding issue,Page
> 65, it use follow guideline:
>
> Use single-point grounding for low-frequency applications (audio, etc.) with
> clock rates of 1MHz or lower.
> Use multi-point grounding for high-frequency circuits with clock rates of
> 1MHz or higher.
> I know single-point is a tech used when in these days multi-layer PCB is not
> popular. For two layer PCB,it is a good design thumb rule.
> Do we still need use single-point grounding for low frequency audio signal
> with complete ground plane PCB in today?
>
> Regards.
>
> Tesla.

> List forum  is accessible at:
>
> List archives are viewable at:

Steve Weir
IPBLOX, LLC
150 N. Center St. #211
Reno, NV  89501
www.ipblox.com

(775) 299-4236 Business
(866) 675-4630 Toll-free
(707) 780-1951 Fax

All contents Copyright (c)2012 IPBLOX, LLC.  All Rights Reserved.
This e-mail may contain confidential material.
If you are not the intended recipient, please destroy all records
and notify the sender.

List forum  is accessible at:

List archives are viewable at: