[SI-LIST] Single-ended S-para plot of 2 microstrip traces

  • From: sam.sim@xxxxxxx
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 17:41:09 -0500

Hello, Experts

When I plot a S31 for 2 microstrip traces, say insertion loss, I'm seeing
suspicious notchs as the trace have a stub.
The microstrip geometry was 5 mil width, 5 mil space and 6 mil FR4
dielectric thickness, and I got RLGC model from  Ansoft 2D Solver. The S31
graph was plotted by Hspice using w-element model.

Those notchs did not be seen at the case of one trace with same microstrip
geometry. When I calculated differential S-parameter, SDD21, those notchs
were disappeared. I could not find such notchs at stripline cases either.

I'm very curious why the unpredictable notchs at graph of the single-ended
s-parameter happen at microstrip case.
Is it the limit of RLGC transmission line model for microstrip modeling ?

Sam
AMD Boston

List archives are viewable at: