[SI-LIST] Simulate 100MHz DRAMs for long term failures?!?!

  • From: "Loyer, Jeff" <jeff.loyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 16:58:37 -0700

I'll probably hate myself in the morning, but just can't help it...
(title of thread changed also)

I was cleaning car parts yesterday.  I had a flashback to cleaning parts
in the 1970's when I was a mechanic.  Cleaned 'em in gasoline, with a
cigarette hanging out of my mouth.  Did it for years, never had a
problem.  Worked with lots of people who had the same experience.

My personal experience suggests that there's no danger in cleaning car
parts in gasoline while smoking cigarettes.  Others suggest otherwise. =20

I might conclude that there's a conspiracy among folks to force me to
buy more expensive cleansers and quit enjoying a harmless vice while
engaged in brainless activities.

Instead, I've long since decided that I was pretty lucky (though my
liver may later say otherwise).  I use a very different method to clean
parts now. Heck, I even quit smoking many years ago (it's a great excuse
to spoil myself on my "quit smoking anniversary"!).

While I think it's always good to question whether we're being
overcautious and expending resources on stuff we don't care about, I
think it's also prudent to worry about stuff that other very
knowledgeable people get upset about. =20

I also know that often it isn't the super-duper fast busses that kill a
platform - it's the "supposedly DC" or other slow bus that wasn't given
a 2nd thought.  It's risetime that kills us, not clock frequency. =20

And finally, one figure of merit for an engineer is whether they can do
a quick "back-of-the-envelope" calculation that gives us an idea of the
risk associated with a bus.  I thought Scott did a nice job of that
(though I didn't look at it too intensely).  Unless I could dispute some
part of those calculations, I'd conclude the bus you're talking about
deserves consideration.

My 2cents,
Jeff Loyer

List FAQ wiki page is located at: