[SI-LIST] Re: Signal flight time through via

  • From: "Lambert Simonovich" <bertsimonovich@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'Istvan Novak'" <istvan.novak@xxxxxxx>, "'Kelvin Harding'" <kelvin.harding@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2011 23:12:07 -0400

Kelvin,

To further Istvan's explanation, if you know the loop inductance (L) per
unit length and capacitance (C) per unit length, then the propagation delay
through the via can be calculated as tpd=sqrt(L*C). If your unit length is
inches, then tpd will be in s/in.

Alternatively, if you know the effective dielectric constant (Dkeff), then
tpd=sqrt(Dkeff)/C; where C is the speed of light. If you want tpd to be in
s/in, then C=1.18E10 in/sec.

The trick is determining Dkeff. The distributed capacitive loading of the
plane anti-pads to via barrel has an effect of lowering the overall via
impedance. Since via impedance is inversely proportional to capacitance and
therefore dielectric constant, Dkeff is the equivalent dielectric constant
value needed to give the same via impedance but without the anti-pads. Dkeff
is generally higher than the bulk dielectric constant published in data
sheets.

If you are working with differential vias, I invite you to review a White
Paper I wrote along with Eric Bogatin and Yazi Cao titled, "Method of
Modeling Differential Vias" available from my web site:

http://lamsimenterprises.com/

In it you will find the equations to calculate the odd-mode via impedance
and Dkeff of a differential via structure based on it's geometry.

BR/

Bert Simonovich