[SI-LIST] Re: Signal crossing Split plane

  • From: Charles Harrington <ch_harrington@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: shlepnev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, 'Chris Cheng' <Chris.Cheng@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2007 09:49:32 -0800 (PST)

Yuriy,

  if you place your stitching vias (or whatever you call them), close to the
signal via, they will also define the inductance and impedance of the return
path. The inductance of the complete arrangment (signal via, stiching
vias/return path) depends almost entirely on the geometry of the vias and the
distance between the stitching vias and signal via. If you increase your
simulation area without increasing the geometry/position of the stitching vias,
then the inductance/impedance of your return path will not change. So your
explanation that changing the simulation area automatically changes the
impedance of the return path and |S11|, is not correct. If you do not believe
me, then contact Dr. Howard Johnson for further explanations. In his book
(advanced black magic) he has an excellent explanation of the relationship
between these stitching vias and the inductance of the return current of the
signal via. This is the only text I know that treats these issues in a very
 practical manner and I think it will be of great help to you. I strongly
recommend it to every other person working with via modeling. Note that the
number of stitching vias you use depends on a number of other factors. From his
book, you'll see just a method. You can apply the method to your own designs.
Don't expect an automatic solution to your problem!
  Remember, Maxwell never said Ampere is wrong. He said Ampere's circuital law
is not complete and then completed it using the displacement current term (See
J.C. Maxwell - On Physical Lines of Force, 1861). Now, when your stitching vias
define the return current path, the conduction current is much more greater
than the inter-plane displacement currents, such that we can use the original
form of Ampere's law without any loss of accuracy. Quasi-static methods use
this approximation too. It's not that the displacement current is not present.
But it is too small to be considered. With that said, you can visualize the
discontinuity (considering its return paths and traces) as consisting of 2
parts. The closest part (which you beautifully describe as the "near field
zone") and the "far-field zone" - if you allow me to use your words. In the
"near field zone", which should be less than 3mm for frequencies up to 50 GHz
(from my experience) when using typical PCB/package
 geometries, |S11| (at a given constant frequency) depends almost completely on
the higher order modes excited by the discontinuity. |S11| decreases as the
length increases because the higher order modes die off. In the far-field zone,
|S11| increases because the higher order modes have compeltely decayed and
other factors now play the deciding role. As you know, |S11| for a given line
length at a givn frequency is constant.
  This is the method I have been using to define the boundaries of both
vertical discontinuties(such as via-holes) and horizontal discontinuties (such
as bends). And I'm fine with it. I have done many simulations and measurements.
As I said earlier, I got it from the paper I cited on Nov. 20. and other
publications from these authors. I had problems to accurately model
discontinuties at higher frequencies (up to 77 GHz) years ago. Remember it is
just a method and you have to take into consideration your real design
enviroment, if you apply the method proposed in the paper. Don't expect an
automatic solution to your problem! As far I know, the term "boundaries of
discontinuities" as used in PCB/package design was first introduced by these
authors. If you have your own method, then you can also use it. But one thing
is clear. You have to define these boundaries at your 20 GHz and beyond. If
not, your models are not correct and can not be validated with measurements.
I'm not
 interested in your tool. Just like Chris, I'm interested in methods or
methodology as he calls it.

  Hope this helps

  Best regards
  Charles

Yuriy Shlepnev <shlepnev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  Chris,

I think all definitions of the interconnect models you provided may be
applicable under different circumstances. It depends on possibility to
localize discontinuities such as vias and splits for the electromagnetic
analysis. If all discontinuities in you channel can be isolated for the
electromagnetic analysis, then the de-compositional analysis you described
in a) and b) can be safely used. If such localization is impossible, the
system-level model has to be built either on the base of a complete 3D
electromagnetic analysis of the whole board (possible but not practical) or,
alternatively, the de-compositional model has to be extended with models of
such structures as parallel planes and splits with all decoupling structures
connected to them (hybrid system-level models with transmission planes).
Those structures are the major reasons of non-localizability of
discontinuities on PCB and in packaging applications.

How to define the boundaries of a discontinuity and localizability. If
simulation results (S-parameters for instance) are relatively independent on
the simulation area size and on the boundary conditions, the discontinuity
can be isolated for the analysis and a reusable model can be generated
(otherwise the discontinuity is not localizable). Simple rules based on line
width/substrate height can be used to define the simulation area in case of
localizable discontinuities. Phase reference planes may be shifted toward
the discontinuity to make it electrically smaller (for better fitting or
interpolation). A line segment with a minimal length to prohibit interaction
through the higher order modes have to be added at the system-level in that
case. This de-compositional technique used in microwave engineering since
40-s (Levin, Advanced theory of waveguides, 1951) and is the mainstream in
the microwave system-level analysis tools. The smaller the localizable
discontinuity the smaller the effective discontinuity area. It provides good
models even for micron-sized structures up to sub-mm wave frequencies.

Note that dependency of S-parameters on the simulation area sometime has
nothing to do with the higher order modes discussed here before, but rather
related to parallel planes and to localizability. S-parameters of a single
via without or with a stitching via nearby can show significant dependency
from the simulation area simply because of the discontinuity is not
completely localized and the impedance of a cavity formed by parallel planes
may change the |S11| for instance. Increasing the simulation area, one
increase the inductance of the return path and together with the via
capacitance to the planes it may be visible as the decrease of |S11| with
the increase of the simulation area size (effect observed in the paper cited
below). Such problems may be on the border line between the localizable and
non-localizable problems and sometime may even require the system-level
hybrid models with the transmission planes.

Who has to define the boundaries of discontinuities or minimal length of the
line segments to connect the discontinuities. Ideally, it has to be the
system-level tool that decomposes a channel into transmission lines,
discontinuities and possibly transmission planes. All mainstream SI tools
are already based on the decomposition into line segments. It may include
coupling between the lines bases on physical or electrical thresholds. The
same approach has to be used to define what discontinuities may be analyzed
with a 3D EM tool and what discontinuities require hybrid models. If two
discontinuities are too close to each other (physical or electrical criteria
can be used) - they have to be analyzed in a 3D solver as a whole and so on.
In addition, a 3D solver has to define sufficient simulation area
automatically and produce the model that is electrically as small as
possible. Without such interaction between the system-level tool and a 3D
solver you have to follow the recommendations provided by a 3D tool vendor
and make sure that the discontinuity model is connected in the final design
with sufficient line segments. I think that report on the minimal length of
the line segments would be a good feature for an electromagnetic tool.

Best regards,
Yuriy

Yuriy Shlepnev,
Simberian Inc.