[SI-LIST] Re: Signal crossing Split plane

  • From: "Chris Cheng" <Chris.Cheng@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Jean-Pierre Maurice" <mauricejeanpierre@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <shlepnev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <ch_harrington@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2007 13:20:26 -0800

JP,
I have no beef in who has a better 3D algorithm. My question is specifically on
methodology to both Charles and Yuriy in integrating 3D models in a system
environment and I didn't find Yuriy pimping his own tool in his response to me.
In fact I think his description is somewhat closer to what Charles has been
saying, there are non-localize models one has to take into consideration.
I am just looking out from my short bus asking all the experts you mention to
chime in. Namely, what is the correct methodology to integrate 3D models in a
complete system interconnect simulation environment.
As far as I know there are not that many brave souls that model the entire
system interconnect in one big giant 3D full wave model from end to end. That
means at certain point of time the model is partitioned, most likely between
pure interconnect (lossy line) and discontinuity (3D models).
I think Yuriy correctly point out some of the cases are not localizable and in
those cases, what are you going to do ? What tool can tell me I can safely
break my trace read from the PC CAD database at what distance before I have to
extract my 3D model (as in case a) on my original question)? What tool can
precompute the discontinuity in 3D and then calibrate out the ideal
interconnect part out of the extended port (probably by some kind of pseudo TRL
algorithm) so that a user can simply extract the trace length information from
the PC CAD database and then just reuse the pre-compute 3D models everytime he
encounter the discontinuity ?
To me, the second option is very attractive because it gives the dumb user like
me a very straight forward modeling methodology. All those via drills and
return models, plane switches can be pre-compute and constrain in PCB design
rules and the post route verification will be a snap by simply reading out the
trace length and location of the discontinuity and substituting the pre-compute
model.
On the other hand, what if we hit one of those giant non-localize discontinuity
? What tool can fall back and extract the necessary area and model ?
I am not an academic, I ship products. With that in mind, I need a methodology
and not just a tool that can be validated to a terahertz.