[SI-LIST] Shielding of Cables and Connectors...

  • From: "Jim Nadolny" <jim.nadolny@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "SI LIST" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2007 13:58:26 -0500

Greetings,

Jim Nadolny here from Samtec and I wanted to make you all aware of a
webinar on shielded cables and cable assemblies.  The Webinar is next
Thursday, 12-6 at 2:00PM EST.

The webinar covers a little bit on EMI regulations and compliance (5-10
minutes) and then describes where all the data comes from in the webinar
(reverb chamber).  It covers the impact of shield construction (braid,
foil and braid), differential vs. common mode effects, and of course,
connector effects on shielded cable assemblies. =20

On the theory side I show how analytic expressions for apertures can be
used to predict shielding effectiveness for a very simple coax. It
actually works better than I expected and it's pretty simple algebra to
get the transfer impedance and shielding performance from the magnetic
polarizability of an aperture.=20

If you only deal with silicon and chip level SI, this probably is not a
good fit. On the other hand, if you have to deal with shielding, EMI
compliance or if you want to broaden your EE base a bit - this might be
worth your time.

You can click on the link below and click on "register" under Upcoming
Events.
http://www.connectorwizard.com/Webinars.aspx?uri=3DSamtec&nav=3D1270

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net