[SI-LIST] Severe EMI and Differential Measurements

  • From: Doug Smith <doug@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: emc-pstc <emc-pstc@xxxxxxxx>, SI-List <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2007 20:00:50 -0800

Hi All,

I have posted the third and final Technical Tidbit in the series of
measurements in the presence of severe EMI. The latest installment is
linked from the picture of the experimental setup at the bottom of the
page at http://emcesd.com .  The other two articles are linked further
up on the index page and in the latest article itself.

The title of the article is: Measuring Signals in the Presence of
Severe EMI - Part 3, A Differential Solution

Abstract: Passive differential probes perform very well in the
presence of severe EMI. Data is presented to compare the noise
immunity of a standard unbalanced 50 Ohm resistive probe to a passive
differential probe. The performance of the passive differential probe
is shown to be much better.

I will be posting a podcast audio file covering all three articles in
the next few days and will post here when it is up.

This Technical Tidbit has a new feature. My daughter (Didi) helped me
with performing the experiment and taking the data. She is a sophomore
at the University of California in Electrical Engineering. Someday she
may take over my website!

Doug
     ___          _       Doug Smith
      \          / )      P.O. Box 1457
       =========          Los Gatos, CA 95031-1457
    _ / \     / \ _       TEL/FAX: 408-356-4186/358-3799
  /  /\  \ ] /  /\  \     Mobile:  408-858-4528
|  q-----( )  |  o  |    Email:   doug@xxxxxxxxxx
  \ _ /    ]    \ _ /     Website: http://www.dsmith.org

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at: