[SI-LIST] Re: Series termination value

  • From: "Sanchez, Louis" <louis.sanchez@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'pintu22@xxxxxxxxx'" <pintu22@xxxxxxxxx>, si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 11:18:44 -0800

Hi AB...........

If the impedance of the traces is 71 ohms, then a series termination of 71
ohms will prevent reflections due to mismatch from occuring. The series
termination resistor is the sum of the source impedance of the driver, and
an external series resistor placed on the board. In this case, since the
source impedance is 20 ohms, then the external resistor is 51 ohms.

You are correct in stating that the total impedance seen by the driver is
140 ohms. If we assume (for example) that the drivers swing is from 0 to 3.3
volts, then the driver must be capable of supplying 3.3/140=23.6 mA. The
load current is inversely porportional to the total load impedance seen by
the driver, so I don't understand your concern about a "whopping 140 ohms."

Lou Sanchez