[SI-LIST] Re: Series termination

  • From: Vinu Arumugham <vinu@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: vinayak.agrawal@xxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 10:33:49 -0800

Vinayak,
Fig. 29 shows four configurations.

Configurations 1,3 and 4 seem to make it easier to meet the differential
impedance spec.
Configurations 3 and 4 will still need high speed bypass capacitance
from the center tap of the termination to ground to meet the
single-ended impedance spec.
Configuration 2 will need high speed bypass capacitance from 0.5V to
ground to meet either spec.

A 100 ps TDR edge is specified for testing. So, it is not clear if a
large capacitance is required. A 100 ps edge also means the capacitance
has to be located at the I/O pad.

The differential and single-ended impedance specifications are
equivalent to the differential and common-mode return loss
specifications. The return loss specifications, at least in CEI seem to
be more precise because they cover a specific frequency range. The TDR
based impedance spec. does not seem to have a low frequency limit.

Thanks,
Vinu

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at: