[SI-LIST] Series termination

  • From: Vinayak AGRAWAL <vinayak.agrawal@xxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2004 17:18:51 +0530

Hi

I am designing a transceiver that will use series termination. The IO is
a differential driver, so while one pin will be connected to high
voltage (external pin) through a series resistor of 50ohms, the other
will be connected to gnd (and the connectivity switches to toggle the
output) the same way.

when I started design I thought it should be good enough to terminate in
this way, because I had seen many single-ended (as opposed to
differential) drivers doing the same. However now I'm worried whether
the differential termination will be good enough for a 100ohm termination.

Specifically I'm concerned about the return path for the current. As I
see it, it is something like: into the negative pin, through 50ohm, gnd,
gnd-vdd coupling, vdd, 50ohms resistor, positive going pin. I doubt
whether gnd-vdd coupling will be good enough for high speed data
transfer (300-6000Mbps). On the other hand I believe similar issues
should come for single-ended drivers.

Can someone point to any reading material. Also any criticisms of the
approach are welcome.

Regards
Vinayak

List FAQ wiki page is located at: