[SI-LIST] Re: Seperate Sparameter for gnd & supply plane !!

  • From: Rajesh K <rajeshk0212@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Rajan Hansa <all.si.list@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2011 16:07:24 +0530

Hi Rajan
I understand what you are trying to do. you want to see PDN noise at
different points along with chip, package, board connection.
you want to connect ideal gnd only at VRM side of the board and make sure
board gnd is connected to package gnd and package gnd is connected to chip
gnd..
i think you need to look for quasi-static tool for extracting separate
parasitics for power & gnd plane. this is one of the way of doing such
problems. I dont think any tool can give directly separate s-parameter for
power and gnd..  this is how most EM tools generate s-parameter. they
combine power and gnd loop behavior into one and put one referernce point. .
but you can always convert s-parameter into spice model with separate
parasitics for power and gnd.
Thanks
rajesh

On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 2:11 PM, Rajan Hansa <all.si.list@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Guys,
> I have got a request to provide sparameter for one package but this time my
> analog engineer wants seperate s-parameter for gnd & supply plane. The
> reason he gave is that with single sparameter for vdd & gnd plane. He can't
> see gnd noise as s-parameter is generated with gnd as reference so it'll
> always be seen as '0' but that problem won't come in separate s-parameters
> for gnd & supply planes.
>
> Though the tool I am using has an option to generate sparameter with
> reference to some virtual point and I can use that option to generate
> separate sparameters for gnd & supply but problem is that I have not still
> understood if using separate s-parameter is a right way to do things and if
> it's the standard practice in industry.
>
> Experts comments please.
>
> Rajan

> List technical documents are available at: