[SI-LIST] Re: Seperate Sparameter for gnd & supply plane !!

  • From: steve weir <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Rajan Hansa <all.si.list@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2011 03:00:54 -0700

What it sounds like your analog engineer wants is to be able to figure
out how much bounce will occur in each plane relative to some external
reference, such as the PCB Vss plane.  In order to figure that out, you
have to do a whole lot more than just produce s-parameters between one
port inside the package and some other virtual port.  Your analog
engineer needs to be more specific about what he wants to figure out.

Steve.

On 6/1/2011 1:41 AM, Rajan Hansa wrote:
> Guys,
> I have got a request to provide sparameter for one package but this time my
> analog engineer wants seperate s-parameter for gnd&  supply plane. The
> reason he gave is that with single sparameter for vdd&  gnd plane. He can't
> see gnd noise as s-parameter is generated with gnd as reference so it'll
> always be seen as '0' but that problem won't come in separate s-parameters
> for gnd&  supply planes.
>
> Though the tool I am using has an option to generate sparameter with
> reference to some virtual point and I can use that option to generate
> separate sparameters for gnd&  supply but problem is that I have not still
> understood if using separate s-parameter is a right way to do things and if
> it's the standard practice in industry.
>
> Experts comments please.
>
> Rajan

> List technical documents are available at: