[SI-LIST] Re: Self Impedance Analysis of Power Distribution Network

  • From: Michael Greim <mgreim001@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: istvan.novak@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2012 09:30:43 -0500

Hi Bala,
Hmmmm, where to start?  My first thought is that is a very
open ended question.    You obviously have thoughts regarding
why it shouldn't be this way.   If you tell me why, the answer to
your real question will probably be alot simpler and less convolute.

Are you considering PDN from source to die, just PCB, or somewhere
else in the path, like package only?  Depending on where you are looking and
how broad your view is, you may very well have practical implementable
frequency limitations.  Just looking at PCB?   Buried capacitance not an
option (cost)?  Well then,  you may very well have a tighter frequency
bounding on what you can do, or can't "do" where you are looking.

With alot of the low voltage high current parts on parts today, simple IR
drop
from source to package at DC load may be a big chunk of the problem.  Ran
into a problem where someone dropped copper on power layer from 1oz to
0.5oz for cost.  Low voltage high current path with snakelike distribution
path.
Halve the copper and double the resistance of the path.   Doubling the IR
drop
was a big issue in this case.

So, if you can tell us what you are trying to solve and where, your answer
will
probably be alot clearer.

Then again, if you are in a position of being able to do PDN, high speed
channel co-simulation, then doing the sims will show the impact of what you
do in the PDN frequency solution space.    Like others have said, there are
a ton of papers regarding what you need to consider and why.

Just let me know.

 -Michael.

We will either find a way or make one   - Hannibal

In the middle of every difficulty lies opportunity   - Al Einstein

If you think you can do something or you think
you can't, in both cases you are probably right   - H Ford

If you're not getting the results you want with the
current approach, move on and try something else.  - A. Fleischmann

On Fri, Nov 23, 2012 at 2:31 PM, Istvan Novak <istvan.novak@xxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> Bala,
>
> It does not necessarily has to be that way.  You always have to check
> what is the bandwidth of the signal or noise current hitting the PDN,
> and evaluate it against the various functions of the PDN you expect
> it to perform.  For a brief generic summary you can look at the paper:
>
> Focused Issue Feature: A New Dawn in R&D
> IEEE Microwave Magazine, August 2011
> at http://www.electrical-integrity.com/ >> Paper download.
>
> Regards,
>
> Istvan Novak
> Oracle
>
> > bala wrote:
> >
> > Hi all, Why self impedance analysis of Power Distribution Network has
> > to be done upto IO's operating frequency?
> > -- bala
>  >

> List forum  is accessible at:
>
> List archives are viewable at: