[SI-LIST] Re: Self Impedance Analysis of Power Distribution Network

  • From: Istvan Novak <istvan.novak@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: balaseven@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2012 09:12:45 -0500

Bala,

Regarding the 100MHz frequency limit of capacitors: when people say this
they usually mean (or should mean) that maintaining approximately flat
impedance response beyond 100MHz just with discrete bypass capacitors
becomes very hard.  The usual misconception is that people might think
based on the above statement that bypass capacitors cant do anything
useful above 100MHz.  This is a plain wrong assumption.  At very high
frequencies the PDN self impedance will be inductive anyway, so whether
you achieve the necessary low inductance from thin laminates or from a
combination of bypass capacitors or both, is up to the designer.

Regarding the bandwidth requirement: it always depends on the rise time
of the noise current hitting the particular PDN.  And as such, it depends
on the location, even along the same PDN.  A well-designed core or IO
PDN has the highest bandwidth near the silicon, lower in the package,
even lower on the board, and finally the lowest in the VRM.

The 50% current value for Ztarget calculation is not mandatory: if we know
the magnitude of the transient current, we should use that value. 50% is
a customary guess if there is no other data available.

Regards,

Istvan Novak
Oracle

List forum  is accessible at: