[SI-LIST] Re: SV: Re: Copper Fill --- correction

  • From: "James Tidman" <jtidman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2002 09:52:59 -0500

No, "copper thieving" is essential for getting good etch performance on =
the board during FAB. =20

When etching a board that contains very fine features (typically < 4mil =
trace, 4mil gap; depends on FAB vendor's capability), it is important =
that the acidity of the chemical etch near the board surface be kept =
constant.  Large areas of copper will decrease the acidity (as it is =
dissolved) of the solution near those areas, creating a non-uniform =
chemical profile across the board - which is not good.  By thieving, or =
stealing, the copper from the solution (i.e. by not etching it away) the =
board manufacturer can decrease the non-uniformity of the etch solution =
and better control the fine feature performance.

Regards,

James Tidman
Sr. Member Technical Staff
Banderacom <http://www.banderacom.com/>