[SI-LIST] Re: SSTL_2 doubt

  • From: Canes Venatici <starsilic@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Kihong Kim <joshuakh@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 00:03:39 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,
  I understood how 8.1mA came from the spec given by doc.
  But if you see in your equation you used vout, which comes from vin,
  is not worst case corner.

  I took worst corners and found the current to be deviating from standard..

  My question is this way, For 0/low case,
  Worst case values from table,
  Vtt(max) = 1.42
  Vref (min) = 1.13V
  I.Rt = 50 x 8.1 = 0.405v

  So Vin = 1.42-0.405 = 1.015V
  Now Vref - Vin = 1.13-1.015 = 0.115V < 0.31min By standard

  In my case,
  I.Rt = 50 x 12.5 = 0.625v
  So Vin = 1.42-0.625 = 0.795v
Now Vref - Vin = 1.13-0.795 = 0.335 > 0.31min by standard

  Where am I wrong.......

  -Canes

Kihong Kim <joshuakh@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
    Canes,

  Look at the notes 1 and 2 in Table 5a,
  and use this
  imin=(Vtt-Vout)/(Rt+Rs)

  You will see 8.1mA

  Cheers,

  Kihong

  On 6/19/07, Canes Venatici <starsilic@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:     Hi all,
  I thought of finding how 8.1ma (class-I) is arrived.
  Refer to the attachment (taken from JESD8-9B,page6)

  if the reciever is to detect a '0', then as per standard,
  ac i/p logic low max = Vref - 0.31 (page 4)
  This tells Vin max = Vref(min) - 0.31

  Vref min is 1.13 (table4) and also there is drop of 25mv ac noise on Vref,
  meaning Vref can go to a minimum of 1.13-0.025.

  This translates to Vin max= 1.13-0.025-0.31=0.795v
  meaning, for detecting as low by reciever Vin should not exceed 0.795v at
worst
  conditions.

  Now coming to the driver side, Vin is max, if Vtt is maximum.
  So Vin max = Vtt(max) - IRt
  Vttmax=1.42 (table4).

  As we know vin should not exceed  0.795,
  0.795 = 1.42 - IRt
  => I.Rt = 1.42 - 0.795 = 0.625.

  This makes 0.625/50 = 12.5mA.

  But standard specifies 8.1mA. Where am I wrong...................

Kihong Kim <joshuakh@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  Raj,
I have no idea about how JEDEC arrived that specification but here is how I
understand to give you more...

In digital IC design, what IC designers normally think for their IO buffer
design is so-called toggling frequency for internal logic building block
(d-flip/flop etc). If your digital switching frequency is higher than that,
it will treat that as a noise. But if it is within that range, it takes the
switching as a meaningful transition whether or not it is meant to be.

So in order to have IO buffers optimal in terms of SNR(signal in power and
AC ringing as noise), you want to limit the bandwidth to increase the input
signal sensitivity within a meaningful range.

Hope this helps-

Kihong Joshua Kim

SI in Photonics and Electronics

On 6/18/07, steve weir wrote:

> raj, the issue is gain bandwidth product.
>
> Steve
> raj singh wrote:
> > I always get confused with the ac level specs.
> >
> > What was JEDEC intent behind including these levels in the spec?
> >
> > From the JEDEC Standard documentation I understand that it is to take
> care of ringing. This means it just to provied extra noise margin over dc
> levels.
> > Then why mem vendors spec timing with respect to ac levels? I have
> seen that most of the receivers on these interfaces (HSTL, SSTL*) can switch
> with just Vref +/-20,30mV of input swing. They need very small energy to
> switch. Much lower than the area under 1V/ns slew and ac-levels.
> >
> > Thanks and Regards
> > Raj
> >

  > > Kihong Kim wrote:
> > I think you need to more specific to get the answer.
> > But by speculatioin....
> > If you are comparing DC specificaton to AC specification, you would not
> be
> > able to derive the numbers by simple math.
> > It is more like things regarding power applied to logic buffers AND
> signal
> > amplitude to logic threshold.
> >

> > Kihong Joshua Kim
> >

> > SI in Electronics and Photonics
> >

> > On 6/15/07, Canes Venatici wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >> I'd gone through JEDEC SSTL_2 standard. In that I don't understand how
> >> Vih(ac) min is arrived at Vref+0.31v?
> >> The delta Vin min is given as 365mV. Then how the difference of 0.055vis
> >> accounted. I tried the noise on Vref may
> >> be imposed on 365mV, but that is just 25mV.
> >> Could anyone clarify it?
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >> Canes

> >> or to administer your membership from a web page, go to:
> >> //www.freelists.org/webpage/si-list
> >>
> >> For help:
> >> si-list-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'help' in the Subject field
> >>

> >> List technical documents are available at:
> >> http://www.si-list.net
> >>
> >> List archives are viewable at:
> >> //www.freelists.org/archives/si-list
> >> or at our remote archives:
> >> Old (prior to June 6, 2001) list archives are viewable at:
> >> http://www.qsl.net/wb6tpu

> > //www.freelists.org/webpage/si-list
> >
> > For help:
> >

> > List technical documents are available at:
> > http://www.si-list.net
> >
> > List archives are viewable at:
> > //www.freelists.org/archives/si-list
> > or at our remote archives:
> > http://www.qsl.net/wb6tpu

> > //www.freelists.org/webpage/si-list
> >
> > For help:
> >

> > List technical documents are available at:
> > http://www.si-list.net
> >
> > List archives are viewable at:
> > //www.freelists.org/archives/si-list
> > or at our remote archives:
> > http://www.qsl.net/wb6tpu

> List technical documents are available at:
> http://www.si-list.net
>
> List archives are viewable at:
> [...]

List technical documents are available at:
http://www.si-list.net

List archives are viewable at:

  8:00? 8:25? 8:40? Find a flick in no time

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net

List archives are viewable at: