[SI-LIST] Re: SSO pushout, ground bounce definition

  • From: Larry Smith <ldsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ldsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx,Pat_Diao@xxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 09:30:49 -0700 (PDT)

Pat - Different EM extractors use different techniques for finding
partial inductance and mutuals.  A long time ago in their 3D extractor,
Ansoft used to sum up the energy in all of the tetrahedron when 1 amp
is forced through a conductor.  Energy is half of inductance times the
current squared, W=L*I^2/2.  From the energy and 1 amp, they found
inductance.  I think the equations that you have quoted below are
equivalent, but perhaps easier computationally.

Lot's of 2d extractors find the capacitance between structures and
calculate inductance from velocity=sqrt(1/LC).  Velocity is known from
the dielectric constant and the speed of light.  As you can see, these
extractors do not calculate L directly but infer it from some other
quantity.

Other 3d extractors descritize conductors up into lots of little
rectangular bars.  Grover published inductances for simple bar
geometries long ago, I think the book has been out of print for more
than 50 years.  Fundamentally, these inductance extractors are based on
Grover's calculations for inductance.

There are probably a dozen different methods for EM extraction.  To
answer your question, yes the several different techniques may obtain
different partial inductances for the same geometry problem.  The
example I gave several emails ago was a bit extreme, I don't think the
extracted partial inductances will differ by a factor of 10.  But even
if they did, they could all produce the same loop inductance and
therefor the same results in a circuit simulator.

regards,
Larry Smith
Sun Microsystems

List archives are viewable at: