[SI-LIST] Re: SSO pushout, ground bounce definition

  • From: "Kai, Francis" <francis.kai@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'Vinu Arumugham'" <vinu@xxxxxxxxx>,"Kai, Francis" <francis.kai@xxxxxxxxx>,"'mark.gailus@xxxxxxxxxxxx'" <mark.gailus@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 14:22:20 -0700

Dear SI-gurus and Vinu,

     Since three subscribers responded positively on my message, I will say
one more thing and keep quiet.

     Vinu asked, "With respect to the board ground, the chip ground is
bouncing. So, why is this
misleading?" Here you go, Vinu. You are using two things, "chip ground" and
"board ground", and
describe a relationship between them to describe the concept of "ground
bounce." In fact, we can
use more terms, like "simultaneous switching noise", "loop and partial
inductances", "return current paths",
"simultaneous switching pushouts", etc., to write a definition for ground
bounce. The definition can be
modified as long as new concepts are added in it: For example, nobody cares
about "power delivery"
twenty years ago. Now we find out that "ground bounce" can cause power
delivery problems, not just
timing budget problems. Therefore, if one writes the definition of "ground
bounce" in early 1980's,
he/she has to re-write this definition related to "power delivery". The
original definition of "ground"
has nothing to do with "bounce", it is an "absolute ground." Only signals
and noises "bounce", not the
"ground". Now we have to talk about "analog ground", "digital ground",
"split ground plane", etc.

     People who read newspapers know that the Catholic Church comes to
national headlines lately. The
Catholic Church has precise definitions on its doctrines. Even on the
property of "God", St Anselm,
the Archbishop of Canterbury, found a way to know "God". However, the
Eastern Orthodox Church goes
the other way: in many of the terms, the Orthodox Church prefers to use "it
is not A, it is not B,
it is not C, ..." instead of using a definition "it is something", to
describe a concept. St. Gregory
Palamas, Archbishop of Tessalonica, described "God" has "Divine Energy" and
"Divine Essence". We as
human being can only know God by "Divine Energy", not by "Divine Essence".
In other words, you cannot
design an experiment to probe God's "Divine Essence". There is a mystery
part of it. (Interestingly,
nobody has detected "gravitational waves" yet. It looks like science can
have mystery components.)

        The word "hypostasis", like the word "ground", evolutes. The
original word "hypostasis" was
defined in the Book of Hebrews of Bible. However, when this word
"hypostasis" was used in the
Council of Ephesus (431 A.D.) and Council of Chalcedon (451 A.D.), it had a
quite different meaning.
The Persian Church used a different Assyrian word, "Qnome", to describe the
natures of Christ, it
was "sentenced" to heresy by Pope of Rome and Patriarch Cyril of Alexandria.
Does the Greek word
"hypostasis" equivalent to the Assyrian word "Qnome"? Well, ... Luckily,
nobody condemns us 'heretic'
if we mean a different "ground" with the first party.

     The above two paragraphs tell us: in some cases we cannot write a
complete definition for a
(scientific) term, even if we have several sentences to describe a concept.
We shall accept
the term "ground bounce" now, unless the English major comes up with a good
term.

Regards,

Francis