[SI-LIST] SSN Analysis with IBIS 4.2/AMS (was Drivers ?)

  • From: "g_l_pratt" <gp@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2007 16:01:01 -0000

For an example of using IBIS 4.2/AMS for SSN analysis, see slide 15
of "Altera_Mentor_SParameter_Designcon2006.ppt " at
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/si-list/files/Signal%20Integrity%
20Documents/

btw, to avoid dealing with the requests individually, the 2007
DesignCon paper on fully automated DDR2 analysis using IBIS 4.2 and
AMS has been posted in the Files section of this yahoo group (under
Signal Integrity Documents).  The DesignCon 2006 AMS Tutorial has
also been posted to the Files section.  I have no objection to anyone
republishing any part of these documents, provided proper credit is
given.

If anyone is interested in more information on these subjects, or any
other IBIS 4.2/AMS subject, feel free to contact me.

Gary Pratt, P.E.
g.l.pratt@xxxxxxxx

--- In si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Mirmak, Michael"
<michael.mirmak@...> wrote:

> I should note here that this caution is appropriate for traditional
IBIS
> models -- 3.2/4.0 and earlier, in particular -- where the author is
> limited to I-V and V-t tables plus C_comp.   Different tools are
known
> to arrive at different, usually pessimistic, SSN estimates due to
the
> lack of explicit power and/or ground path current flow information.
>
> However, IBIS 4.1 & 4.2 provide the means to express the power,
ground
> and I/O relationships explicitly using Verilog-A, Verilog-AMS, VHDL-
AMS,
> analog-only VHDL-AMS or Berkeley SPICE code within IBIS models.
>
> In addition, a change, pending for IBIS 5.0, has already been
approved
> to model supply impedance and current flows explicitly using table
data.
> This update is called "BIRD95."
>
> You can read about this and other pending improvements in these
areas on
> the IBIS websites.
>
> - Michael Mirmak
>   Intel Corp.=3D20
>   Chair, EIA IBIS Open Forum
>
>   http://www.eigroup.org/ibis/
>   http://www.eda.org/ibis/

SSN,

> Stay away from IBIS models if you want that.  They don't help when
it
> comes
> to power- or ground-bounce induced SSN.
>
> Andy