[SI-LIST] Re: SSN

  • From: Julia Nekrylova <fialka113@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: elie issa <eliaissa1@xxxxxxxxx>, "si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2011 22:36:23 -0700 (PDT)

Elie,

crosstalk and SSN might add up, or they might partially cancel out. You have to
run simulation analysis to know for sure.
Under SSN (classical definition) we understand such phenomena as "ground
bounce" and "power sag", i.e. L*di/dt noise which involves power/ground
networks.
Under crosstalk we understand inductive and capacitive coupling that involves
signal/return paths.
In some SI teams it is usual to include crosstalk under the broader definition
of "SSN" which might be confusing.

Inductive crosstalk would add to SSN whereas capacitive crosstalk would be of
the opposite sign with respect to SSN. Since almost all package/board level
xtalk is rather inductive, in most cases, these 2 signal degradation mechanisms
would add up reducing your noise margins.

Just my 2 cents.

Thanks,
Julia

74ze