[SI-LIST] Re: SPARTAN IIE Voltage regulator selection

  • From: Prasanna Nambi <Prasanna.Nambi@xxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 22:00:05 +0530

hi,
i don't think the fpga takes such high current as u suspect.I guess it is
around 0.4A to 0.7A (depending on the device u use)on power up.Off the shelf
any LDO with 1 A rating may be able to supply this power.Need not complicate
with s/w reg.if u intend to use that also(for eff) then use devices without
current sense or design current sense fairly higher(140%) than ur actuall
power req.
Just ensure ur source is capable of supplying this power.Also it is better u
take the complete worst casse power requirement of the board and ensure that
ur i/p power supply can supply 120% of this rated power.
Otherwise i don't think there is any issue using the device.FYI this xilinx
series is one of the most popularly used device , so there may not be much
complication in power req. as u suspect.
Prasanna