[SI-LIST] Re: SMPS

  • From: "Curt McNamara" <CurtM@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Russel Hughes" <Russel.Hughes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 10:10:13 -0500

This is good -- thanks for the link -- but it can be difficult to
use a sniffer and get repeatable measurements when making changes=20
or doing tests. It is a great way to find emission peaks and get=20
some idea of where they are coming from. However if it just gets=20
high near your processor you don't know if input clock or SDRAM
strobe lines or ... is the cause.=20

So we make up a test set-up which can be "tied down" even taping
cables to benches so results are somewhat repeatable. Of course=20
we don't know what far field emissions results will turn out to be
but if we knock something down by 6dB or more things usually are=20
better at the test site ...=20

                                        Curt

p.s. Keith's web site address may have been truncated in my first=20
message -- make sure to add lio.htm to the end of the link.=20

Curt McNamara. P.E.=20
Senior Electrical Engineer=20
Logic Product Development=20
411 Washington Ave. N Suite 101=20
Minneapolis, MN 55401=20
Tel 612-436-5178=20
Fax 612-672-0443=20
curtm@xxxxxxxxxxx=20
www.logicpd.com=20
protected by law. If you are not the intended recipient, you should
copying, or distribution of this message, or the taking of any action
based on it, is strictly prohibited.