[SI-LIST] Re: [SI-List]: S parameters for Multi-point Topology

  • From: vinod ah <ah.vinod@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: vladimir_dmitriev-zdorov@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2015 08:26:14 +0530

Hi All,
One common question which came up to me was, which tool is being used.
Ansys Siwave is used for extraction.

Thanks *Vladimir* for the suggestion. What i see is when i convert the
extracted S5P file to 4 S2P files using Hyperlynx touchstone viewer, i
don't see the gain, instead i see loss which is what expected.

Only thing i am not still clear is why is that i am seeing difference in
behaviour in S5P as compared to S2P.

Regards
Vinod A H

On Fri, Nov 20, 2015 at 12:17 PM, Dmitriev-Zdorov, Vladimir <
vladimir_dmitriev-zdorov@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi Hermann,

Regarding the tools, it would be convenient to use Hyperlynx Touchstone
Viewer. To see how the signal propagates from port 1 to 2, you can exclude
ports 3-5 by letting them be "non-connected". No circuit simulation is
needed. In the resulting s2p file you'll get the "usual" insertion loss,
with resonances caused by the stubs to existing but already invisible ports
3-5. Then, repeat this operation by eliminating ports 2, 4 and 5 as "not
connected" and so on. If needed, you can also re-normalize the remaining
ports to any convenient impedance value, or let them be 50 Ohm.

We have used to think about connectors in terms of "insertion loss".
However, this logic works only when you have a conductor that connected two
ports, and other ports being relatively isolated (e.g. with their
respective conductor coupled to the first). If we add more ports at either
side of the conductor, or even split any port into several connected to
each other, all the dependencies in S-parameter matrix are drastically
affected and the "insertion loss" thinking doesn't apply.
Perhaps, this is what caused difficulty in interpretation.

Of course, passivity and causality should be in any case, regardless of
the port number.

Vladimir

HI Scott,

yes, this is an option, but I think very cumbersome.
I setup this once in ADS with automatic switching .. but also this
requires a lot of effort.

I would still hope that tool vendors would see this as important task
and bring in some automatism for this ..

Hermann

EKH - EyeKnowHow
Signal Quality - Made in Bavaria
Hermann Ruckerbauer