[SI-LIST] Re: [SI-LIST]EMI from two systems

  • From: "Kai Keskinen" <kalevi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Charles.Grasso@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <boris.traa@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <si-list-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 17:37:36 -0400

Boris:

As an EMC guy from a previous incarnation, I would say you try to find the
clock frequency that you are seeing harmonics from, and then go to which
board contains it. Add a series ferrite barnacle to one of the clock
outputs. If it changed the amplitude vs frequency profile for the harmonics,
you probably found your culprit. Lots of other things you can try. The
spectrum analyzer plot can tell you a whole lot if you understand the two
systems. Some of the SI tools with EMC bolt-ons let you generate harmonic
profiles from the devices on the board. Some let you generate the
power/ground noise profiles from chips on the board. This way you can try to
isolate it without messing with the two systems but the real proof is in the
hardware. If the noise is from a switching supply, you have a whole other
problem but diagnostics are similar. You also try to understand the reason
you have a CM current from 1 floating box to another. The cable has a
ground. Is it connected at both ends with low inductance? Lots of
possibilities.

Enjoy!